GILSDORF GARAGE was founded by Edwin (Ed) Gilsdorf in 1950 as Gilsdorf Service at the present site at 1111 West Mulberry Street (corner of Mulberry and Shelds Streets), just west of the 7-11. The following year, Albert (Bert) Bogard joined Ed as a working partner, and were immediately successful, providing Fort Collins and North Larimer County with meticulous workmanship and quality service.
In 1974, Ed’s son, John, and John’s friend, Colby Van Cleave, became partners and purchased GILSDORF GARAGE from Ed. By l982, Colby sold his interest to John. Shortly thereafter, John completely remodeled the facility to better accommodate the requirements of newer vehicles. In 2000, John’s wife, Kathy, joined the family business as office manager. Brandon Pursley was hired on in 2001 and would soon become the service manager.
In 2003, John retired and sold GILSDORF GARAGE to Mark and Doreen Johnson. Mark and Doreen, who are from Southern California, have owned and operated small businesses succesfully, utilizing the same principles and ethics as Ed and John. Mark and Doreen are auto enthusiasts, having owned many classics ranging from the 20’s to the 60’s. Currently, they own a fleet of vintage vehicles including a ’57 Chevy Bel Air and are members of the Cadillac Club and the Vintage Chevy Club. Their enthusiasm for anything automotive carries over into our philosophy of meticulous workmanship and doing it right the first time.
For over 66 years, GILSDORF GARAGE has prospered, guided by Ed’s principles of honesty, integrity, ethics, and quality. This legacy will continue to be the cornerstone of GILSDORF GARAGE.